Cosmetic dentistry is extremely popular in Saigon, both among the locals and tourists to the city. It is also cheap compared to what it might cost in Western countries, although the quality of the treatments and the education of the dentists is not any lesser. Possibly the most popular cosmetic dental treatment of all is teeth whitening.
Your teeth are pretty much the first thing people notice when talking to you, and not all of us are lucky enough to have been blessed with perfect pearly whites. Teeth whitening treatments are a quick, easy, painless, and relatively inexpensive way to give your smile a huge boost, and Saigon is one of the best places in the world to have them performed. Dentistry tourism is a big business here for a good reason, and we have put together this list of the best options for teeth whitening in Saigon to help you navigate your options.
There are two major types of teeth whitening that you should be aware of before you make any decisions. The first type is in-office treatment. This treatment entails the patient going into the office. Once there, they have their teeth examined by a dentist, and the examination is used to personalize the treatment. A whitening gel is then applied to the surface of the teeth while the patient lies in the dentist chair. After that, a specialized laser light is shone on the teeth to activate the gel. A chemical process will immediately begin whitening the teeth, and they will continue to whiten even further for the next five days or so. Unfortunately, the effects of the treatment begin wearing off after 6-12 months, and another clinical visit is required to maintain a perfectly white smile.
Below are a few of the best locations in Saigon for getting one of these treatments done.
- Care Plus VN — This place is a hospital offering medical services from neurology to nose jobs, but cosmetic dentistry is one of their most popular departments. Because its services cover such a wide range, Care Plus VN is an extremely credible and widely-known institution that is covered by many international insurance policies. It is also a good place for tourists to go if their teeth whitening is only one part of their medical tourism itinerary, as they can get everything done in one building here. Care Plus VN offers a discount when the booking is made online, which makes it even more cost-feasible for those with foresight.
- Maple Healthcare — Maple Healthcare is generally the most expensive option on this list, but it is also the highest calibre one. The place specializes in chiropractic and dental services, and they use the most modern and holistic methods available. All of the Clinic’s services and contacts are available in full English oh, so setting up an appointment is easy. In the tooth whitening treatment offered by Maple Healthcare takes only 1 hour. Despite all these advantages, though, the treatments are still 35-50% cheaper than they would be in Western countries.
- Westcoast International — Westcoast offers fairly good service and a similar teeth whitening treatment to many other clinics in Saigon, but what makes it notable enough to include on this list is its patented “Westcoast Ultimate Whitening” treatment, a step-by-step process the clinic’s site claims Is formulaically superior to other teeth whitening treatments. Patients who undergo the ultimate whitening treatment have the typical hour-long in-clinic teeth whitening session, but then Westcoast provides a “special therapy” to “enhance the bleaching effects.” They follow that up by taking a mold of the patient’s teeth in the office in providing a personalized teeth whitening kit to be used at home. The home treatments are meant to enhance the permanence of the whitening. Westcoast’s site recommends this intensive procedure for people who has managed to steam their teeth especially badly, beyond the scope of abnormal whitening treatment.
- Tam Nhat Dental — Tam Nhat is the place to go if you’re willing to (or hoping to) forego the 100% Westerner-friendly experience offered by most other clinics you’ll find on this list or on our list of best dentists in HCMC for expats. That is not to say that Tam Nhat is unhygienic or unprofessional; the dentists and treatment methods employed are very efficient and modern, and the work is held to international standards like at any other upstanding dental facility. But the clinic is not in Go Vap District, which is outside of the city center. Much of the staff does not speak great English, although they all speak at least a little and the ones who do speak it fluently will act as translators. And the clinic’s website is not in English, although they have English-speaking social media representatives who will assist you to set up an appointment on Facebook. The good news is that the prices are easily half of what you would pay at a tourist-oriented clinic.
The second major type is at-home treatment using a whitening kit. At-home is just as effective as in-office treatment if administered correctly, and they are also a lot cheaper. not only that, but they can be purchased and applied whenever, so it might make sense to stock up on a few of these and apply them when needed instead of returning to Vietnam every time you need to re-up on your teeth whitening treatment. the major downside it, though, is the application itself — it’s very time consuming and, although painless, biting down on whitening strips and a special laser light for hours at a time is quite intrusive. In case you decide to go with this option, here are a few of the best options for getting a hold of a teeth whitening kit in Saigon. Know that, no matter what treatment you are using, a tooth cleaning is recommended before the teeth whitening to ensure the best results.
- Westcoast Dental — For only mildly to moderately discolored teeth, Westcoast’s at-home teeth whitening kits are great. A kit includes a preliminary consultation in order to make personalized molds for the dental trays used in the home portion of the treatment. Westcoast also sells extra syringes of whitening gel, for those who already have dental trays from a previous procedure.
- Tam Nhat — Like with Tam Nhat’s in-office treatments, This one is for the more adventurous westerners out there. The consultation services may not be rendered in perfect English, and you’ll have to venture out of District 1 to get a hold of one of these kits. They are inexpensive though, and high-quality.